Afterglow

Afterglow_EvePaludan_17997159

 

3 STARS OUT OF 5

This book picked up the story begun in Burning only minutes after that first book in the series ends. The novella length story then follows three plot lines: (1) Gabby, (2) Vlad and (3) Rand’s relationship with Ambra. Also, the search for Rand’s daughter, Kristen, continues as an undercurrent to the three major events.

This book felt like the typical middle book in a trilogy – basically plodding along, ending a few things begun earlier, advancing some others, starting some things anew. And yes, there is a cliffhanger ending. Often the dialog, as well as Rand’s internal monologues, felt stilted and unnatural. Also, the actual novella occupied only 80% of the actual download, according to the Kindle location counter. The remaining 20% was used by previews of two other books currently in publication by the author.

In summary, the first book in the trilogy was far better than this one and I sincerely hope the next, Radiance, will return to that level.

This review was originally posted at Amazon and Goodreads on August 8, 2013.

Cover art from Goodreads.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s